The museum bears the name of Ernest Cognacq and his wife, Marie-Louise Jay.
They came from modest backgrounds and had made their fortune by creating one of the most famous departement stores in Paris : la Samaritaine.
The Cognacq-Jays were childless and had always devoted themselves to many charitable works and cultural projects.
Ernest Cognacq only became a collector relatively late in life, in approximately 1900.
Tied up by his business affairs, he probably had neither the time nor the all requisite knowledge to choose each object and so various advisors, antique dealers and art historians helped him.
When he died in 1928, he bequeathed his collections to the City of Paris which opened the "Musée Cognacq-Jay" in the following year.
Cognacq-Jay Museum is not accessible to people with reduced mobility.
Near : "Place des Vosges", the house of Victor Hugo, Church of Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis.
To see all the photos from the album, click on the link.